The national Overhead Door Company has been in business for 100 years. The Maine branch, the family-owned Overhead Door Company of Portland, opened its doors 54 years ago—and has for the last 26 years been reaping the benefits of ABC Maine membership as it continues to grow.
“I’m sure there’s a lot that my father knows about ABC Maine that I have yet to learn, but since I stepped into my role, I have picked up quite a bit,” says Mike True, Overhead Door Company’s president. “ABC Maine does a great job doing everything they can to help us all.”
The biggest piece of support ABC Maine provides its members, according to True, is the way it advocates for construction businesses whether they have hundreds of employees or just a few.
The Overhead Door Company of Portland is a fourth-generation family-owned business that was founded in 1968. It specializes in the installation, maintenance and repairs of residential or commercial building garage doors. True also says the company provides same-day and 24-hour emergency service to customers that need prompt repairs for safety reasons.
“It’s a good feeling knowing ABC Maine has our back, and with some organizations this large, that isn’t always the case,” he says. “Being a part of the organization has been nothing less than a positive experience.”
Networking and Making Connections
Since its inception, ABC Maine has helped members to develop employees, win work and deliver that work safely, ethically and profitably. True says ABC Maine’s networking events, which include an annual golf tournament, member receptions and annual meetings, have been particularly helping.
“We joined in 1996 because we wanted to be able to network with the top construction and trade industry minds in the state,” True says. “And the golf tournaments are fun, too.”
ABC Maine has other benefits, True says, like a robust apprenticeship program designed to allow members to earn while they learn through on-the-job training and related classroom training.
“Everyone wants nothing more than to see us all succeed and be treated fairly, and the political advocacy and defense and support of the merit shop philosophy helps protect our industry,” True says.
Membership Has Its Privileges
True says his employees regularly participate in ABC Maine’s many training and continuing education opportunities. Upcoming training and events include:
- Mental Health Awareness: Wednesday, October 5 from 8:30 – 9:30 AM ET. Open to members and non-members. Click here to register.
- NCCER Core Curriculum: Beginning Tuesday, October 11. Email Shari Johnston to register.
- STEP Lunch & Learn: Wednesday, October 19 at 11:30 AM ET. Click here to register.
- The ABC Craft Championship: Save the date! Friday, April 7, 2023, from 8:00 AM – 2:00 PM ET.
True says since joining ABC Maine, he has learned how important the trades and the construction industry are to Maine’s economy. In fact, according to the state’s Department of Labor, the construction industry has climbed back to pre-pandemic levels, indicating a more open economy.
True also says that the state’s rules, regulations and policies favor small businesses in this industry and allow for continued success—and that wouldn’t be possible without the advocacy work by ABC Maine.
In addition to the regular benefits the Overhead Door Company and so many others appreciate, ABC Maine offers members an apprenticeship program that includes classroom and on-the-job training. It also offers workforce and business development, discount programs, continuing education, social media exposure and more.
The 19 companies celebrating membership anniversaries this month include:
- Overhead Door Company – 26 years
- Travers Electric Company –21 years
- Liberty Mutual Surety – 19 years
- Industrial Roofing & Siding Co. – 14 years
- American Industrial Construction – 11 years
- TradeSource Inc. – 11 years
- Roof Systems of Maine – 11 years
- Malloy Construction Inc. – 11 years
- Tradesmen International – 8 years
- J McLaughlin Construction LLC – 4 years
- Leviton Manufacturing – 4 years
- Machias Savings Bank – 4 years
- Pratt & Sons Inc. – 4 years
- Blue Rock Industries – 3 years
- Industrial Electrical Services LLC – 3 years
- Prudential Advisors – 1 year
- Helical Drilling Inc. – 1 year
- Ace Acoustics – 1 year
- Penobscot General Contractors – 1 year
Not a Member, Yet? Join Today!
To learn more about ABC Maine membership, contact ABC Maine’s Membership Director Tami Staples at (207) 620-6561 or email her at email@example.com.